Welcome to The PAR²A Center
The Paraprofessional Resource and Research Center (PAR²A Center) is a part of the School of Education & Human Development at the University of Colorado Denver. The mission of The PAR²A Center is to develop a qualified and effective workforce consisting of degreed and non-degreed personnel in the fields of early intervention, education and human services. The Center focuses on enhancing education and services for ALL children and youth (from birth through 21 years), especially those at risk, through policy creation, professional development and research with regards to roles and responsibilities, coaching and mentoring and career ladders for personnel.
In addition to being the premier source of information on paraprofessionals (paraeducators) working in the fields of education and human services, the center is a nationally recognized leader for:
- Research-based Train the Trainer (TOT), coaching and supervision models.
- Competency-based curriculum development and instructional materials.
- Innovative pathways and pipelines that transition indigenous candidates to teacher positions in high-need schools.
PAR²A Center Accomplishments
- Designed 22 courses and instructor manuals for K-12 paraeducators as well as 17 courses and instructor manuals for Early Intervention Paraprofessionals that lead to a variety of certificates
- Trained over 12,000 individual paraeducators
- Trained over 3,500 licensed professionals in paraprofessional supervision
- Trained over 1,300 trainers to deliver curriculum to paraprofessionals
- Transitioned over 300 paraeducators and other non-traditional students to teachers mainly in high-need subject areas – Special Education, Bilingual Education, Math and Science
- Acted as an advisory body to Colorado state departments on issues related to paraprofessionals
- Impacted policies in other states
- Convened state level coalitions that focus on paraprofessional issues
- Developed and implemented the system of state mandated training and supervision of early intervention paraprofessionals for the state of Colorado
- Developed state standards for early intervention paraprofessionals
- Conducted standards-based paraprofessional curriculum review and revisions